What’s your favorite type of yoga to teach?
Great question! I am trained in Vinyasa or Flow. This still continues to be one of my favorite styles to teach and participate in.
Where did you get certified as a personal trainer and what other certifications do you possess?
After losing 100 pounds on my own, I wanted to learn more about fitness and wellness. So, I completed a self-study personal training course through American Fitness Professionals & Associates in mid-2007. By late 2007/early 2008, I still wanted a higher level of knowledge, professional guidance and practical experience, so I became a Fitness Intern while I was a School Psychology graduate student at Florida A&M University (FAMU). Through hands-on training from my FAMU Campus Recreation mentor and boss (Chip Heimbach) and the opportunity to complete additional fitness and wellness certifications, I transitioned from being a fitness intern into a group exercise instructor, personal trainer, and supervisor as the Fitness & Wellness Graduate Assistant.
While at FAMU and under the guidance of Chip, I was able to conquer the most challenging credential I have to date, Certified Personal Trainer through the National Strength and Conditioning Association. It was a rigorous journey to earn this highly-respected certification because my background and training were in psychology and not in allied health like some of my colleagues at the time. However, losing over a 100 pounds taught me that I am fearless and can conquer even the most difficult mental and physical tests in life if I put my mind to it.
Since then, the journey of continually challenging and growing my mental knowledge in fitness and wellness has not ceased!
I am proud to say my current and past certifications and credentials are as follows:
- Certified Personal Trainer, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Weight Management Specialist, American Council on Exercise
- Wellness Coach, Spencer Institute
- Registered Yoga Teacher – 200, Yoga Alliance
- SPINNING Instructor (Star 2), Mad Dogg Athletics
- CPR/First AID, AED Instructor Trainer, American Red Cross
- Group Exercise Instructor, Athletics and Fitness Association of America
- Certified Personal Trainer, American Fitness Professionals & Associates (Former)
I am currently finishing up the Certified Health and Wellness Coach certification through Wellcoaches.